More and more people around the world are taking advantage of the benefits of receiving help online.
I offer counseling, psychotherapy and consulting services via electronic communication, including Video Conference, Telephone, V.O.I.P. and other forms of telecommunication.
Introduction to working Online
Research and academic studies show that E-Therapy (as well as E-Coaching and E-Counseling) can be as effective as face-to-face consultations, and sometimes preferred. A comprehensive review of Online and other E-Services can be easily obtained online. Refer to: http://www.apa.org/monitor/2011/06/telehealth.aspx, and many other resources which are easily found online.
Advantages of Working Online
Choice – Comfort – Accessibility – Availability – Convenience – Affordability – Privacy – Flexibility – Confidentiality
- Choose the right Therapist, Counselor or Coach for you (a specialist) without the limitations of location
- Avoid wasting valuable travel time and travel expense
- Enjoy receiving help in the space in which you are most comfortable, relaxed, and focused
- Schedule your sessions with ease and flexibility
- Continue your process without interruptions when you travel or need to work unusual hours
- Obtain the help you want even when home-bound
- Protect your privacy and confidentiality – no need to be seen by others in a waiting room or building
- Feel more at ease if you are an individual who may feel embarrassed or uncomfortable to work face-to-face
- Choose which communication modality you prefer (Telephone, Video Conference, etc.)
There are teleconferencing services which offer clear convenient safe encrypted private communication, which allows for each participant to be aware of useful non-verbal cues and communication, such as voice shifts, body language, facial expressions, etc. to be present in real time synchronous communication, as in an office setting – without all the logistical hassles.
Possible Disadvantages of E-Sessions:
When video is absent, a lack of non-verbal cues can at times create a disadvantage; however this is not an issue for Video sessions.
Confidentiality and security can be an issue (hackers, NSA, etc.) however, precautions can be taken.
Technological difficulties can be disruptive; therefore we use high speed internet connection and good software.
On some online sites it is difficult to confirm the credentials of the service provider. This is not a problem on Dr. Sheldon’s site.
Issues related to Online Psychotherapy (not relevant to Coaching)
Obviously, it is contra-indicated to work with patients who are seriously disturbed (psychotic, suicidal, etc.) online.
Sometimes it can be difficult to properly diagnose the problem when the patient is not physically present (depending on the patient and the problem). It is for this reason that when possible or necessary, I ask the patient meet with me for at least the first session in my office .
There are often licensing issues regarding state government agencies who license the practice of psychotherapy
I Provide Coaching and Consulting Advice Online Internationally.
I provide Psychotherapy services only in jurisdictions where I am licensed or otherwise legally permitted to do so.